Vinyl Fences vs Wood Fences: Buying Guide
Two classic fence materials – only one yard. Deciding between vinyl fences and wooden fences is a common choice homeowners need to make. Both of these materials have a classic style, practical advantages, and they come in at a slightly lower price point than dedicated luxury fences. In today’s blog, we’re breaking down vinyl fences vs wood fences to help you decide.
At Smucker Fencing, we install fences throughout Chester and Lancaster Counties, including cedar, vinyl, aluminum, and more. Not only do we take care of everything when installing your new fence, but we also make sure you have all the information you need. Keep reading to take an inside look at vinyl fences vs aluminum fences – or simply reach out right now to get quotes for both!
Is Vinyl Fencing Better than Wood?
Homeowners often want to know, “Is vinyl fencing better than wood?” – and that’s a tough question. While vinyl is hands-down better than a generic pressure-treated wood fence, the beautiful wooden cedar options we install offer their own advantages. That’s why we’re comparing the key facts of cedar fencing to vinyl:
- Price – One of the most important points when comparing vinyl fences vs wood – or any fence material – is their prices. Both of these materials are mid-price options and are very comparably priced at their base design. While the only way to get an exact price is to get official measurements and quotes, you can count on both of these materials to be pretty close.
- Maintenance Needs – This is one of the main reasons that some people consider that vinyl fencing is better than wood. Vinyl fencing will never require re-staining to prevent the growth of rot and mold like wooden fences do. To keep vinyl looking great, all you need is to wipe it down with soap and water. Even though cedar is a naturally rot-resistant wood species, it isn’t perfect— cedar fences will need to be re-stained every 5 to 7 years. Learn more about low-maintenance fences.
- Lifespan – If you’re wondering, “Is vinyl fencing better than wood?” – this is one of the key points to consider. Even with perfect regular maintenance, a wooden fence simply can’t match that of a weather-resistant vinyl fence. On average, a cedar fence will last between 15 to 20 years – while a vinyl fence will easily last 50+ years. Simply put, vinyl is an ideal material to stand up to the elements and look great doing it.
- Style – Everyone’s personal style and yard differs, and that’s what will help you decide on this point. Available in a variety of colors, vinyl fencing creates a clean modern style that looks great for suburban homes. On the other hand, the gorgeous red cedar of a wooden fence naturally enhances a rustic décor. Both of these options are absolutely eye-catching and will make your backyard more beautiful.
- Customization – Customizing the design of your fence is an option some homeowners choose to make the look truly standout. This is done by selecting distinct top rail options and accessories, which create a unique profile. While there are ample options for lattice work and rails, customizing a vinyl fence is easier and much cheaper than customizing a cedar one. Ultimately, whichever you choose between vinyl fences and cedar wood fences, you’ll have a solid piece that keeps your yard protected and enhances its style. After all, we proudly install both – because both are good choices!
Even More Stylish Fences to Consider
While wood and vinyl fences are certainly some of the most popular options on the market, there are even more options to consider. Aluminum fencing is quickly becoming one of the most popular materials in backyards across the country. This is due to the slim, modern style of the aluminum rails – and the fact that aluminum fences last 50+ years without needing ANY maintenance!
The only thing aluminum fences don’t do well is provide privacy by blocking the view into your yard. However, stylish aluminum-vinyl hybrid privacy fences offer that within a gorgeous two-tone color scheme. When you’re shopping for a fence, you have countless options. One of the best ways to discover all of your options is to have a consultation with our outdoor designers.
Vinyl Fences vs Wood Fences – Compare Your Quotes
If you’re comparing vinyl fences vs wood fences, sometimes the best thing to do is get quotes on both. That way you’ll know exactly what it’ll cost to bring each option to your home. In addition to giving you a free quote, our outdoor designers can help you find the best choice for the outdoor décor you’re building.
Reach out today to start the conversation with our experts!