Picket Fencing: Styles & Advantages
Once upon a time, picket fences were the undisputed most popular type of fence.. While there may be new modern fence types, this classic option isn’t going anywhere. At Smucker Fencing, a Lancaster and Chester County fence company, we still frequently install picket fencing today. These are the key reasons that homeowners still trust this tried-and-true option:
- You Can See Through It – If you have a great view and you like your neighbors, you don’t want to fully block them out. Picket fencing is perfect for this.
- It Has Ornamental Style & Tons of Options – You can customize the posts, rails, and spindles of your picket fence to match your personal style. Aluminum and vinyl picket fences provide a wide range of unique touches.
- It’s Great for Small Dogs – While some extra tall pups will require a super-sized fence, the vast majority of small and medium-sized dogs can be kept in with the right picket fencing.
- It’s Affordable – Since the picket style uses less material than privacy styles, these fences tend to be more affordable.
Keep reading to explore wood, vinyl, and aluminum picket fence styles and get quotes for us to build one for you!
Aluminum Picket Fences
One of the trendsetting 21st century fences, aluminum picket fences get their name from their sleek and sturdy pickets. One of the easiest options to own, dark-colored aluminum fences won’t show dirt and will never require maintenance, yet will last more than 50 years. In addition, you can customize the pickets of aluminum fences by adding spears, triads, quads, or other options. Check out our choice for the best aluminum fence brand we install for our customers.
- Most Modern Looking Picket Fence
- No Maintenance Needed
- 50+ Year Lifespan
- Tons of Options to Customize Pickets
Vinyl Picket Fences
Vinyl picket fences are a fantastic choice for a clean and elegant look that matches almost any style of home. Part of this versatility comes from the fact that there are a wide range of different picket styles (including a few semi-privacy options). Just like with aluminum fences you, can count on vinyl to last five decades without ever needing to do serious maintenance – however, you will still have to wash the fence down with soap and water to keep it looking new every once in a while. Although white vinyl is certainly the leading design color, tan vinyl fences are an increasingly popular color to see!
- Wide Range of Different Styles
- Clean and Simple Look
- 50+ Year Lifespan
- Low Maintenance Needs
Wooden Picket Fences
Wooden picket fences offer all of the practical and design benefits you’d expect – just with the option for rustic character. While stained wood is a popular choice as it offers that natural wooden look you crave, you can paint the pickets nearly any color you want. However, since wood is a natural product, it won’t last as long as aluminum and vinyl picket fences and will require more maintenance. You can expect any wooden fence to last 15 to 20 years, and it may come in at a better price point depending on the specific model.
- Beautiful Rustic Look
- Can be Painted & Stained Different Colors
- 15 to 20-Year Lifespan
- Can Be Very Affordable
Get Quotes on Picket Fencing from the Local Expert
All three of these picket fencing options can provide timeless style and a handful of smart advantages. If one or more of these options caught your attention, we can provide you more information and a price to bring it to your yard. We are a turnkey company that handles everything from the measurements to the installation and even cleaning up your yard after we’re finished. Any quote you receive from Smucker Fencing includes everything!
Reach out to talk to our team and to get your quotes today!